V.C.Srikanthan Chartered Engineer, MIE, Rashtrabhasha Ratna Chief Executive Officer, M/s.ARS Technologies
Vice President (East) AIDC Technologies Association of India; Regional Director (East) Institute of AIDC Technology &
Science; Visiting Faculty – (Lectures AND seminar ON Barcoding) MSME DI Kolkata; Visiting Faculty – NATIONAL High School
(Boys) – H.S Section ; Professor Incharge – ARS Centre FOR Mathematical AND Statistical Computing;
Automatic Identification AND DATA Capture Systems
are a NATURAL corollary TO computer era, since they ensure error free DATA entry INTO the system.
MIS needed TO control AND track business systems can be significantly improved IN accuracy, detail AND sheer speed of availability.
AIDC Comprises of ALL OR combination of Barcode Printers, Scanners, Decoders, tDaa Capturing Units, Radio Frequency Terminals, EAS
Systems, ID card Printing, Biometric AND related softwares.
KEY Drivers FOR Barcoding AND anticipated benefits
- Barcoding an international standard Practice FOR the past 30 years AND there IS increasing demand FOR overseas buyers FOR accepting only
- Product Tack AND traceability enabling product recall
- Just – IN – TIME monitoring of product stock levels
- GLOBAL demand FOR efficient AND automated Supply chains FOR product movement FROM the POINT of manufacture TO POINT of sale
/consumption LEADING TO reduction IN prices of goods thru reduction IN supply CHAIN costs
- Requirement FOR accuracy/speed IN facilitating movement of goods thru automatic DATA Capture
- GLOBAL requirement of electronic communication ( thru EDI etc.) REQUIRE automatic DATA capture through Barcoding AS KEY enabler
Applications of Barcoding
- Customer Satisfaction
USE of Barcoding IN India – Current Scenario
GS1 India under Ministry of Commerce
- Automobile Industry – inventory tracking AND production scheduling
- FMCG Industry – inventory tracking & production scheduling
- Retail Industry – Apparel, FMCG, Grocery etc. – inventory tracking , POINT of sale
- Exports (Complaince Labelling)
- Canteen Stores Department (Minsitry of Defence) – POINT of sale AND inventory
- Alcoholic Beverages (State Excise Department) – POINT of sale, Inventory, authentication
- Healthcare (Hospitals, Medical CHAIN retails etc.) – Patient tracking, POINT of sale, testings etc.
- Pharmaceutical Industry FOR avoiding counterfeiting, inventory, desaptch etc.
IS the authority towards Barcode allocation numbers. GS1 IS responsible FOR development AND implementation of OPEN interoperable AND USER driven standards IN Supply CHAIN Management TO ENABLE UNIQUE AND universal identification of
Products, Assets, Services, Locations, DATA Capture AND seamless sharing of Supply CHAIN information BETWEEN Trading Partners incuding
Retailers, Manufacturers, Suppliers, Logistic Providers AND Consumers.
Commonly Used GS1 Identification KEY
|What TO Identify
||GS1 Identification KEY
|Consumer Item/SKU/Product Variant
OR TYPE of Retail Sale
||Apparel, Toothpaste etc.
||GLOBAL Trade Identification Number (GTIN)
|Locations, Legal & Functional
||Companies, factories, Warehouses,
Stores, Department WITHIN
||GLOBAL Location Number (GLN)
||Pallet Containers, Shipping Containers
||SERIAL Shippers Container CODE (SSCC)
||Pallets, Plastic Crates etc.
||GLOBAL Returnable Asset Identifier (GRAI)
||Laptops, Photocopiers etc.
||GLOBAL Individual Asset Identifier (GIAI)
||Stamp Papers, Office Documents etc.
||GLOBAL Document TYPE Identifier (GDTI)
||Single consignment FOR Desaptch
||GLOBAL Identification number FOR Consignment (GINC)
|Grouping of Logistics units that travel
under same dispatch notice
||Used BY Customs Authorities FOR
identifying IMPORT & Export shipping
||GLOBAL Shipment Identification Number (GSIN)
|People Served BY OR serving under a
||Patient, members of customer Loyalty
Scheme, Employee etc.
||GLOBAL Service Relationship Number (GSRN)
Adoption of GS1 Standards IN India
- APEDA has adopted GS1 KEYS (GTINs, GLNs, SSCC) & GS1 traceability STD FOR Grapes, Pomegranates, Groundnuts, Organic food
& 103 horticultural products
- IndiaGAP mentions the USAGE of GS1 identification KEYS
- GlobalGAP mentions the USAGE of GLOBAL Location Number (GLN) FOR UNIQUE farm identification
- Several State Excise Depts. have mandated the USE of GS1 stds FOR IMFL
- CSD endorses GS1 stds
- ALL major retailers (Reliance, More, Big Bazaar, Spencer’s etc) endorse GS1 stds
Regulatory Mandates IN India
- Canteen Store Department (CSD) mandates suppliers TO affix GS1 Barcodes ON ALL products supplied TO 33 AREA depots
- Alcoholic Beverages Delhi State ExciseDepartment mandates USE of GS1 FOR enhancing Supply CHAIN efficientcy AND product
- Fresh Produce & Processed Food : APEDA (Agriculture & Processed Food Export Development Authority) uses barcode FOR
- DGFT AND Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India mandates USE of GS1 standards FOR Pharmaceuticals products TO
combat counterfeit products
Financial Assistance FOR Adoption of GS1 Standards
- Ministry of Micro, Small & MEDIUM Enterprises (MSME) Govt. of India FOR registered Small Scale Industries (SSIs) registerd WITH
- Spices Board FOR members of Spices Board
- Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India FOR members of Export Promotion Coucil FOR Handicaarafts (EPCH) AND Carpet Export Promotion
- K. Ramanathan firstname.lastname@example.org